I find that I have used 'five eyes' twice in recent posts without
really being aware of it.  In some but only some contexts it is
standard jargon for the American NSA and its Australian,  British,
Canadian, and New Zealand co-conspirators, five eyes in all if each of
them is viewed  as cyclopean.

About tools, the whole history of warfare suggests that they will
always be adapted by defenders if offensive or attackers if defensive.
 Poliorketics (poliorcetics for Greek dropouts) developed in this way,
and there is every reason to view our present problems as extensions
of those of siege warfare.   The notion that z/Secure and the like
will not be used by would-be exploiters is naif and dangerous.  Anyone
who thinks so is all but certain to be hoist with his own petard.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA