From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John Gilmore
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2013 9:10 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: PDS/E, Shared Dasd, and COBOL V5

I found Mr. Conley's computations interesting.  They presumably
reflect his practices and those of his shop, and what specifically I
found most interesting about them is their manual, handicraft,
repetitive character.

His costing calculations assume that each PDS to PDSE conversion is a
new problem, one that is to be approached, analyzed, and resolved ab
initio.  In fact the entire process is a trivial one that can be, has
been, very largely automated.  Moreover, it should be.  The only
distinctively human contribution that can be made to such repetitive
processes are the errors that are inevitably introduced by fatigue and
 boredom.