I believe Tom Ross explained this, but some might have missed it.  The main
reason, from what I've heard, is so that the 'debug' data can be stored in a
no-load segment of the program object.  Thus the debug data will not be
(automatically) loaded in to memory at execution time, but will be loaded only
if requested by a tool such as IBM Fault Analyzer or IBM Debug Tool.  This
eliminates the long standing hassle of keeping the debug data "in sync" with
the executable.  And I for one welcome it!

And while I forsee some effort to convert our executable libraries from PDS to
PDSE, and while we haven't come up with our plan for doing so, I don't see it
as being as big a hassle here as it will be in other shops.  It will certainly
take an outage so that the conversion can be run while no applications are
accessing the libraries, but we have only a few production ones.