On 25/10/2013 10:58 AM, Ze'ev Atlas wrote:
It should be simple enough to build a client. There are many
http://docs.mongodb.org/ecosystem/drivers/. Of course, that's for accessing
MongoDB running off the mainframe. I'm interested to know why you would
want to do that?
I have no intention on porting the whole engine because I understand the
difficulties, but allowing COBOL to access MongoDB on some MongoDB cluster is
not different (conceptually) from accessing any other remote database.

Interesting concept. I'm not aware of any previous requirement for a mainframe COBOL program to access a data base running on a different platform. Just for fun maybe but certainly not in production. It would be very interesting to see how a intrinsically constrained language like COBOL would deal with the dynamic nature of Mongos JSON like document objects. It's not much fun accessing Mongo in C
let alone COBOL.

ZA