On 24 October 2013 23:49, Ze'ev Atlas <zatl...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> About a previous post, the endianess should not be a big issue to deal with
> once the two sides of the protocol are well defined.  The EBCDIC issue is a
> make or break issue.  MongoDB works decidedly with UTDF-8 and I need COBOL to
> natively view a string as UTF-8.  Does the current incarnation of COBOL (and
> perhaps PL/I) have a native UTF-8 string type.  If not, then I will abandon
> the whole project.

I'm doubtless blowing (or something) into the wind again, but this
sounds like a place for UTF-EBCDIC. Which is easily translated to and
from UTF-8 if that's what goes on the wire. (I'm assuming your UTDF-8
was just a typo.) Presumably it would be a good start if COBOL could
see and manipulate the subset of UTF-EBCDIC that is EBCDIC strings
that would live as UTF-8 in the database. Then when COBOL learns to
handle UTF-EBCDIC, it could handle the complete UNICODE set.

http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr16/

Tony H.