>Is SQL really that much better then native APIs? In the
case of your typical key/value data store surely get/set is easier than
SELECT FROM WHERE/UPDATE SET IN etc.

My short answer would be "YES!"

The "Typical key/value data store" may be better handled with get/set.  But
presenting complex data (think OLTP) in those data stores is pretty much
impossible.  The hierarchical databases like IMS and IDMS (multi-hierarchies)
were an interesting solution that used API to navigate the hierarchies [and I
did a lot of work in both.]  However, ultimately, in any real world application
that is beyond what you could handle in flat Excel like store or "Typical
key/value data store", you find the need for relations... and the relational
model.

"Typical key/value data store" with some forced relations may be good for
warehouse type of application.  Anything else need some relational model, and
SQL engines are pretty refined and do the navigation for you.

My reason of thinking about interfacing MongoDB to COBOL is the fact that COBOL
is very well suited to deal with API's and the hierarchical model.  And I
believe that MongoDB has its place as Warehouse engine.

Again, even in the Big Data movement there is now a tendency to go back to SQL,
hence Google's F1 Database engine.

ZA