Yes, it is on the CBTTape site, http://cbttape.org/updates.htm, in file
897. This is version 3.8.0. There are some examples of how to use the
supplied SQLITE3A "glue" program to invoke the SQLite API using fairly
normal COBOL CALL verbs. However, the sqlite data is kept in a z/OS UNIX
file, not a legacy data set.

The above includes the entire z/OS UNIX subdirectory which was used to
create the SQLITE3 port. This includes all the source, the makefile, and
support scripts. But it is a z/OS subdirectory. There is a job which shows
how to restore the directory. But it also restores the executable code into
a PDSE library which is "ready to use" without, hopefully, needing any
customization. Note that due to the C language, the library _must_ be a
PDSE as best as I can tell.

The weirdest thing is that the floating point data is kept in z/OS BFP
(IEEE) floating point instead of HFP (which is what COBOL uses). However,
there are also COBOL callable subroutines to convert to/from BFP/HFP. The
"glue" program is written in LE enabled HLASM.

Also, since this was compiled on z/OS, under UNIX, all the character data
is stored in EBCDIC. This means that it _CANNOT_ be used to access a SQLite
data base which was binary ftp'ed from an ASCII based system, such as
Windows or Linux.

Oh, I guess that I should mention that I'm the one who did the "port". But
it was simple because Dr. Hipp had already done 99.9% of the work needed to
support EBCDIC. I was very impressed.

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 9:27 PM, mario@tiscali <mbe...@tiscali.it> wrote:

> I've found the thread about porting MongoDB interesting, and I would like
> to ask a question along the same lines:
>
> Any SQLite port for z/OS (ideally non USS)? Having a self contained
> database engine for small stand-alone projects would be great imho.
>
> I know of a MVS3.8 port once offered by Jason Winter with his JCC
> compiler, but I seem to remember I tried to compile it with no success...
>
> Thanks in advance
> mario

This is clearly another case of too many mad scientists, and not enough
hunchbacks.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown