My 1st suspect  would be df/dss. There is an option to set/reset the change
bit.
HSM also had an option to reset change bit on dump. Check the fine manuals.

Couple of old programs on the CBTAPE can show the state of this bit. (DASD? Not
sure which file this is in.)

HTH,

<snip>
HSM is intermittently failing to backup new datasets. I suspect that
someone/something is resetting the changed or archive bit on the dataset before
HSM gets to it.

Can anyone tell me how I can view the state of the changed bit on a dataset?

Furthermore, I'm only guessing but I would hope that the bit is set to changed
when the dataset is first created.
</snip>