jperr...@pacbell.net (Jon Perryman) writes:
> On the other side, Unix has seen many of it's improvements because of
> z/OS. You may not think so but look at the timelines and make
> comparisons. The last one I personally saw was high availability. IBM
> implemented SAP/HA on z/OS and SAP received the SAP/HA
> modifications. A few years later, Linux-HA came out to support SAP/HA.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013n.html#16 z/OS is antique WAS: Aging Sysprogs =
Aging Farmers
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013n.html#17 z/OS is antique WAS: Aging Sysprogs =
Aging Farmers
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013n.html#18 z/OS is antique WAS: Aging Sysprogs =
Aging Farmers

about the same time that SNA architecture was originally being created
(major requirement was complexity of vtam/ncp interface as
countermeasure to clone controllers), my wife was co-author of
peer-to-peer networking architecture (internal document AWP39).

later she was con'ed into going to POK to be in charge of
loosely-coupled architecture and while there she did peer-coupled shared
data architecture ... some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#shareddata

which saw little uptake (except for ims hotstandby) until sysplex (&
parallel sysplex) little uptake and periodic battles with the
communication group trying to force her into using san/vtam for
loosely-coupled operation, resulted in her not staying long in the
position.

late 80s/early 90s we did cluster scaleup ha/cmp for rs/6000 ... some
past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#hacmp

while out marketing ha/cmp in the early 90s, i coined the terms
"disaster survivability" and "geographic survivability" ... some
past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#available

i was also asked to write a section for the corporate strategic
continuous availability document ... however both Rochester (AS/400) and
POK (mainframe) complained that they couldn't meet the specification
... and the section was removed.

recent post discussing distributed lock manager for ha/cmp in
greater detail
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013m.html#86 'Free Unix!': The world-changing
proclamation made 30 yearsagotoday

and old post mentioning cluster scaleup ha/cmp meeting in ellison's
conference room early jan1992 ... 16-way by mid92 and 128-way by ye92
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/95.html#13

shortly later, cluster scaleup was transferred and we were told we
couldn't work on anything with more than four processors (possibly
contributing was mainframe DB2 complaining that if we were allowed to
proceed, it would be at least five years ahead of them).

it was then quickly announced as ibm supercomputer ... for scientific
and technical only ... press item 17Feb1992
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001n.html#6000clusters1

and as a result we decide to leave. later folklore is that oracle
reverse engineers ha/cmp DLM and ports it to other platforms.

DB2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_DB2

from above ... non-mainframe (rs/6000) DB2

In October 2009, IBM introduced its second major release of the year
when it announced DB2 pureScale. DB2 pureScale is a database cluster
solution for non-mainframe platforms, suitable for Online Transaction
Processing (OLTP) workloads. IBM based the design of DB2 pureScale on
the Parallel Sysplex implementation of DB2 data sharing on the
mainframe. DB2 pureScale provides a fault-tolerant architecture and
shared-disk storage. A DB2 pureScale system can grow to 128 database
servers, and provides continuous availability and automatic load
balancing.

... snip ...

17yrs after ha/cmp was going to ship 128-way ... from the annals of
release no software before its time ... past post
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009.html#43