If using UNIX on z/OS, then your hitting the network. Instead you are staying
within the same TCP stack. Even if it's on another system in the SYSPLEX, then
it would go thru the coupling facility. If you are going off platform, then you
would need samba or NFS anyways. If no one is accessing it, then there should
be much overhead other than memory that is probably paged out anyways.

I suspect that IBM felt that this implementation was the best  bang for their
buck. z/OS specific would be too limiting when most user's of this facility
would be off platform anyways.

If it's useful and saves time/money, then why not just use it. I would think
you might as well use it. It's far less overhead than running an X-client on
z/OS.

Jon Perryman.