In article <4212144266386912.wa.paulgboulderaim....@listserv.ua.edu> you wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Nov 2013 15:02:48 -0800, Frank Swarbrick wrote:

> >Does anyone actually run X-Windows on z/OS?? Seems to me GUI things such as
> >the Explorer tools, the Debug Tool (and other Productivity Tools) GUI, etc.,
> >and even RDz could be well served by being X-Windows client applications.?
> >But what do I know...
> >
> I had xterm (and xlogo) working several years ago.  Today, SSH tunneling
> isn't working for me.  I can't justify making its repair a priority for our
> admins (my judgment; I haven't requested it).

> A while back I discovered a directory of the customary Java GUI demo
> applets.  I asked here if anyone had got them to work.  The only answer
> tendered here was to serve them with HTTPD and let the desktop
> browser client do the rendering.  Not the answer to the question I meant
> to ask.

> I have some vague recollection that SAS had a GUI remote debugger in
> connection with their cross compiler.  And it would seem to be a natural
> for the Colesoft tools.

> -- gil

We have a GUI debugger, but it runs on Windows (not X11) and was never
sold commercially. Some versions of SAS require X11 for some install
programs. I know some people that actually like to use nedit on zos.
I guess our box is big enough that it works well enough to be an
alternative to things like vi or ISPF. I just tried it out using the
X11 server running on OSX from home and it seems just as peppy as using
any native OSX editor editing a local file.

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/features/unix/library/IBM+Redbooks/index.html#nedit

--
Don Poitras - SAS Development  -  SAS Institute Inc. - SAS Campus Drive
sas...@sas.com           (919) 531-5637                Cary, NC 27513