This response feels like we're playing a game of Jeopardy (Alex, I'll take
datasets for $100). Did you actually contact IBM to ask them "what is a
dataset"?

Did it have something to do with specifying a Unix file name in a DSN
parameter?  If so, then the answer is that not all datasets have a dataset
name. UNIX datasets have a file name (no DSN). SYSOUT datasets have SYSOUT
attributes (no DSN). Subsystem datasets have subsystem information (no DSN).
DSF and DFDSS use entire volumes as datasets which doesn't have a DSN for the
DD.

Can you give us some context? Why is this important or even relavent?

Jon Perryman.