I interpreted Gilmartin's explanation that AMATERSE was failing because it did
not support LRECL and BLKSIZE from the DD statement. That his workaround was to
add a DD before the UNIX file. It turns out that the message from AMATERSE was
correct "Unsupported device type". It looks like AMATERSE uses the DEVTYPE
macro which is not suitable for UNIX files.

Jon Perryman.