I suspect that you are correct that the I/O macro's have some sort of DCB
support built in rather than changing IEBGENER. IBM specifically states that
UNIX files are supported in some way in BSAM, QSAM, BPAM, and VSAM. It also
says that certain macro's have restrictions and incompatibilities but only
lists a couple examples. UNIX support in these macro's has never been a
priority for me.

 Jon Perryman.