Copying MSG_TYPE from the get to the send message is not necessarily correct.
It is an arbitrary positive number that MSGSND sends to the receiver. The
receiver may use this information any way it desires. It is simply a standard.
E.g. Think about MVS SMF record types. Everyone agree's on the values and how
they will be used. MSG_TYPE is similar but each queue may have it's own meaning
for the values that it represents..

When using the MVS interfaces to UNIX functionality, you should also look at
the UNIX documentation for the UNIX version of the interface. That
documentation is heavily used and more complete because of usage. In this case,
you would immediately see a structure that contains the TYPE and message where
as MVS gives you an IMPORTANT note that says the TYPE is the first word
preceding the message. The MVS versions simply don't get enough use and users
often already know the functionality from using the UNIX version.

Jon Perryman.