From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Blaicher, Christopher Y.
Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2013 3:53 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Un-authorized caller calling authorized services.

There are a number of things you need to do to prevent an integrity exposure.
At one point I saw a presentation by IBM on this, but right now I can't place
my hands on it.  If I do find it, I will post it.  Here are the main points of
it, as I remember them.

- Don't ever read data from a caller's address space when you are not in the
caller's key.  As an SVC or PC your routine can be entered in key
zero/supervisor state, I.E. you are a god and can do anything you want.

- Don't EVER, EVER write data to a caller's address space when you are not in
the caller's key.

- You may have written the routine for your exclusive use, but don't
assume/think/hope that no one else is going to find it.  Someone will and then
they will try to exploit it or use it for nefarious purposes.

- TPROT data areas to be referenced.

Let's assume the interface calls for R1 pointing to a two word parameter list.
First of all, the words pointed to by R1 may be outside of his address space,
so you want to verify their location is valid.  Then the individual parms may
or may not point to valid data in his address space.

The original presentation went into about 10 different ways a nefarious user
can try to get your valid routine to do something bad.  Maybe Peter Relson has
access to it and can post it.

Chris Blaicher
Principal Software Engineer, Software Development Syncsort Incorporated
50 Tice Boulevard, Woodcliff Lake, NJ 07677
P: 201-930-8260  |  M: 512-627-3803
E: cblaic...@syncsort.com