paulgboul...@aim.com (Paul Gilmartin) writes:
> Which is that "lowest cost platform"?  What was IBM's business rationale for
> encouraging that migration?

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013n.html#78 wtf ? - was Catalog system for Unix
et al

at very high executive level ... POSIX just appears to make porting easy
....  including the port of non-mainframe applications to mainframe
... helping with the issue with moving distributed computing
applications to the mainframe.

that major market motivation for POSIX was to make it easy to frequently
migrate to whatever the current best price/performance platform that
happen to be at the moment (masking proprietary hardware and operating
system features ... that would lock in customers).

note in this time-frame we had come up with 3-tier architecture and
taking lots of arrows in the back from the communication group. we had
mainframes at top tier ... but (of course) none of the mainframe
hardware attachments were from the communication group.

part of 3-tier and the non-ibm mainframe interfaces ... also included
10mbit ethernet ... and communication group, SAA orgination and the
token-ring people were generating all sorts of FUD.

my wife had written 3-tier into response to large gov. RFI that also
happened to have the very highest security requirements. We were also
doing 3-tier customer executive presentations (that the communication
group was trying to shutdown and/or at least discredit). lots of
past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#3tier

old posts with pieces of 1988 3-tier pitch
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/96.html#16 middle layer
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/96.html#17 middle layer
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/99.html#202 Middleware - where did that come from
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002q.html#40 ibm time machine

a trivial example of the communication orientation ... was the 16mbit
t/r microchannel adapter card. it had been shown that aggregate 10mbit
ethernet LAN throughput was higher than 16mbit t/r as well as having
lower latency.

however, the 16mbit microchannel t/r adapter also had very low per card
throughput ... design was 300+ stations doing terminal emulation all
sharing common bandwidth.

the workstation group had done their own 4mbit t/r card for the PC/RT
(PC/AT 16bit bus). for the rs/6000 with microchannel, the group was told
they couldn't do any of their own cards (communication group at it
again). the problem was that the per card throughput of the standard
16mbit t/r card was (also) less than the pc/rt 4mbit t/r card ... aka a
pc/rt 4mbit t/r server had higher server throughput than rs/6000 server
with 16mbit t/r microchannel card.

recent posts mentioning corporate FUD
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013d.html#76 IBM Spent A Million Dollars
Renovating And Staffing Its Former CEO's Office
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013i.html#4 IBM commitment to academia
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013i.html#83 Metcalfe's Law: How Ethernet Beat IBM
and Changed the World
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013j.html#23 The cloud is killing traditional