>I wonder how many mainframers would stick to what they're comfortable
>with even if a GUI interface came along that totally nuked the old
>school UI.

At least for me this is not about sticking to the known as opposed to embracing
the new. But to embrace the new it must at least be as fast, simple,
straightforward as the old. LookAt was a GUI, it was fast, simple and
straightforward, yet it still required entering the message id into another
window (browser). Quickref, while probably not considered a GUI in your sense,
shows the message explanation by the hit of a single key.

--
Peter Hunkeler