I've never built a dependent function but I looked at a couple from IBM very
long ago. They basically used it to change FMID ownership of modules. Modules
shipped in PTF's under the parent FMID would be ignored and only the new FMID
modules would replace the module. Parent is only loosely used for lack of a
better term.

Jon Perryman.