Lizette's point is the crucial one.  I,. for one, would make quite
different recommendations to a novice and to an experienced programmer
who just happened not to know REXX and/or COBOL.

What you know in detail may even be important.  I recently taught REXX
to my teenager group, who already knew PL/I and the HLASM macro
language; they learned REXX very rapidly.  Like many PL/I programmers
they still make more use of optional semicolons than they need to do,
but they were able to use REXX 'arrays' as soon as I made it clear
that they were very like HLASM created set-symbol arrays.

In a word, tell us what you know.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA