On Mon, 2013-12-30 at 14:55 -0500, Tony Harminc wrote:
> Much earlier the 370/165 and /168 had a Load MicroProgram instruction
> that loaded microcode from main storage. X'B9', iirc. Used by OLTEP
> tests, I think.

I have a hazy memory of the /145 having a similar instruction (possibly
a variant of DIAGNOSE).  It required the CE key to be present.

I turned on lots of red lights on that /145 console trying to adjust the
barricade register that separated microcode store from s370 store.  That
machine was a private playground for a few of us on the weekends, a
half-million-dollar Adventure game.  I kinda miss those days.

--
David Andrews
A. Duda & Sons, Inc.