Peter:

You're quite welcome. You have to realize that we were members of the MVS design group in Po'k at the time. I won't say "MVS bigot" though, as my last 2 years in IBM were spent in the VM design group in Kingston, NY.

Like you, my VM experience had been a long dry spell until recently. My first 3 consulting assignments after leaving IBM in 1984 were in mixed (VM, MVS, DOS) environments, but after about 20 years away from VM, I am finally back on an assignment where z/OS runs strictly as a guest of zVM. And, you're right, a lot has changed, but not surprisingly, a lot remains the same (which is probably why those old experiences in OS/360 and VM/XA still come in handy today).

Mike

On 01/02/2014 01:29 PM, Farley, Peter x23353 wrote:
Thanks for the history Mike.  I would indeed have truly bemoaned the loss of VM
had that happened.

Being lodged in strictly MVS and z/OS shops for many years without access to VM
and CMS at all I just plain miss it.

Though I suspect with all the changes since my last experiences I would be a
babe in the woods again with current z/VM releases.

Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Mike Myers
Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2014 10:27 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Application development paradigms [was: RE: Learning Rexx]

Peter:

Your mention of CMS on MVS brings back memories. Karl Finkemeyer and I
were picked as the technical team leaders for the two teams that were to
actually develop it. We had begun staffing our teams when the project
was killed (that was about 1982, as I recall). We had been two of the
programmers that had implemented the prototype proving it would work. My
part in the prototype was putting the CMS file system in MVS, which was
done using VSAM linear data sets and control interval access.

Those of you who are big VM fans should be happy the project was killed,
as our intention was to make VM unnecessary. We saw the advantages of VM
to be the CMS development environment and the ability to run multiple
systems side-by-side in the same machine. If you could run CMS in all
its glory in MVS and run multiple systems in the same machine with PR/SM
(Karl's prototype when he was at the Heidelberg Scientific Center - I
believe it was called the Multi-System Mapper - demonstrated the
feasibility of LPARs and PR/SM, although we had not named it that yet).
Had we been successful, VM might not be an IBM product today (although
Gene Amdahl swore he would take and develop it if IBM gave it up).

Mike Myers
Mentor Services Corporation