Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

>When the manual is well over 1K pages, reading each edition cover to cover is
>a bit much.

Agreed.

>That's when your skimming and drill-down skills become important.

Very true. There are a lots of posts on IBM-MAIN like this 'Where is SMF record
X documented? I can't find it in the SMF book!'.

Or where is data area X documented? etc. Or where in RACF books I can see how
to resolve permission problems for folder\file in a OMVS file. From time to
time I see such requests on RACF-L.

I really liked that you can do a search for IDC3009* <rc> <reason>, for example
IDC3009I 56 8, in Book Manager. When Bookie is dead, I will mourn that loss of
that search thing. ;-)

Such quick drill-down skills are handy. One nice thing you learn eventually, is
that if you see a message, you rather sometimes look for another message(s) for
more details.

I wish other vendors sharpens up their books to more or less the way IBM build
their books (search tools, Table Of Content, indexes, general layout and
message prefixes, division of books/contents in shelves, etc.)

Trivia note:
The first [set of] IBM books I saw were those VM books in a University data
centre. Two or three metal rods were placed on a table and holes punched on the
pages. You then setup all the books, sliding each pages through those holes on
the rods. Then 'they' fastened those rods on the table which are fastened on
the floor. So all these books are standing on their back and as you read, you
spread out the pages. Books on the left are laying on their front cover and on
the right, on their back side.

In this way, those books can't be stolen by the students. Sometimes, students
tear off the page(s) for their own nefarious purposes.

From a distance, those lots of books looked like a very oversized book. [1] ;-)

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht

[1] - Lots of paper bound together is a fire hazard of course.