You are in luck.
IMS is fully web complient.
It has a MFS SOAP  gateway that supports the web out of the box.

It seems like your  monster  application is also important.  If it was not
simply retiring it would be an option.
Is the monster application stable  and not in need of business updates beyond
the user interface?
If it is not stable  I advise speaking to the  people who currently maintain
the application.  These people are often known as developers and they have done
things recently to this application.
If the application is stable and not disposable I am sorry but there is no
choice besides learning IMS, it is required even if you want to rewrite it.

Morale  is always important. Praising IMS and its virures will move the project
along better than a bad attitude.

Why would you think a main frame group would have an interest in getting this
application to a different platform?

IMS was originally confined to very large businesses and applications.  While
CICS announced on the same day as IMS ran on small machines IMS required the
big iron.  That being said, it stands to reason that there are people in this
group who may have intimate knowledge of both the site and application if you
could provide a hint about the business you are discussing.

Related to CICS one should ask is the 3270 data communications driver IMS or
something else like CICS.

By the way, do you know the monster application MS Word once shipped on a
single floppy disk? As tools developed to better manage user presentation the
size of MS Word grew.  IMS originally required monster machines with 512k
memory to run.  This old monster application you are reviewing will be a family
of monsters on steriods if you follow the path you seem to be suggesting.