On Wed, 8 Jan 2014 12:28:13 -0600, John McKown wrote:

>One possibility is to use POSIX threading instead of ATTACH. POSIX threads
>all run in the same address space. And are actually implemented via TCBs.
>But there is no parent/child relationship between a thread and a separate
>thread which a given thread creates. The only special thread is the initial
>thread (called the IPT ). When it "dies", then all the POSIX threads die.
>This is because that thread actually does all the ATTACHes. It is similar
>to how PL/I did it's multitasking.

It's interesting that you refer to PL/I in the past tense.  But that may be a
matter more of your personal history than of PL/I's.

And, each thread could do its own I/O securely.  Almost.  There's still
the problem of DDNAME contention.  Damn! it would be so nice if ATTACH
handled alternate DDNAME assignment rather than leaving it to the various
utilities.

-- gil