From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John Gilmore
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2014 4:10 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Subject Unicode

I am familiar with Unicode.  Wikipedia assertions of this or that
about it do not persuade me of much of anything.  Moreover, as a
review of the archives will show, I am an advocate of its use.

I have, however, found all of the UTF-8 implementations I have used
both unsatisfactory and unreliable in the literal sense that
conversions into UTF-8 from UTF-16 using them do not always yield the
same results.

If I have one, I suppose that English is my mother tongue; but, unlike
some of you, my preoccupations ane not exclusively or even
predominantly anglophone.  I am a polyglot.  There is no effective
appeal from my determination that a passage from Leopardi, say, is
mangled when it is converted/moved from UTF-16 to UTF-8

I have of course reported these anomalies to the appropriate Unicode bodies.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA

attachments from your system.