Paul,

No, I do not accept the premises you set out.

I will try, when I have more time, to make clear why with examples.

Briefly, effective rules for encoding any 'character' recognized as a
Unicode one as a 'longer' UTF-8 one do not in general exist.
Moreover, even when they are available, my experience with them has
been bad.  In dealing recently with a document containing mixed
English, German, Korean and Japanese text I found that the UTF-8
version was 23% longer than the UTF-16 version.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA