(Cross posting to ISPF-L and IBM-MAIN)

On 2014-01-10, at 12:59, Don Poitras wrote:

>>> As of z/OS 2.1, ISPF supports UTF-8, so a binary transfer will still show
>>> an A if it
>>> was an A on the PC.  ...

>> What representation does it use in the 3270 data streams?  Is
>> this well documented in the Data Streams reference?  What must
>> it do to avoid embedded 3270 command bytes?  Is this compatible
>> with Yale/7271/IND$FILE/Kermit conventions?
>
> As far as 3270 goes, I think it's just going to us the CODEPAGE
> and CHARSET you start ISPF with. I think it's going to be limited
> to the set of EBCDIC code pages. As this is the first release, I'm
> sure there's stuff missing that will be added as time goes by.

I guess that conforms to someone's notion of "support".  Should
I understand that one can edit UTF-8 files; one just can't see
most of the characters.  I guess any meaningful editing must be
done with macros.

(I don't yet have access to 2.1.)  What happens if I turn HEX ON?
Will it show the value of the Unicode code point, or of the
UTF-8 sequence of bytes.  Generally, neither can be represented
in two hex digits.

On 2014-01-10, at 16:19, Steve Comstock wrote:

>> BTW, how can I convert majuscule->minuscule with ISPF EDIT.
>> I know; I could write a macro ...  Sheesh!
>
> Well, on a command line:
>  c p'>' p'<' all
>
> Or, as a line command:
> LCC
> LCC
> should do it.

Thanks.  I hadn't known about that.  So if my UTF-8 file I have:
==> Polyglot <==
A common Russian phrase is "ОЧЕНЬ ХОРОШО".
The Greek might be "ΠΟΛΥ ΚΑΛΑ."

... will those commands transform it to:
==> polyglot <==
a common russian phrase is "очень хорошо".
the greek might be "πολυ καλα."

... even as Vim and LibreOffice do, and even if I can't see it?

-- gil