From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John McKown
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2014 8:33 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Automatic Job Ended Email (detail information)

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 12:57 AM, Brian Westerman <
brian_wester...@syzygyinc.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are testing our SyzMail product that provides for the sending of email
> when a task (JOB STC or TSO user) ends that contains all of the normal
> stuff you would expect to see (maxCC, stepCCs, programs used, etc.) and I
> was thinking that it would be great to provide the execution time (both
> wall clock and CPU) that the task used and the start and end times and some
> other information that is all just right there for the picking, but it has
> started some controversy here because many (most actually) think that
> people could care less about the details and mostly just care about the
> condition codes.  I myself think that since the email is being generated
> and we have the information available, that it makes sense to send it.  My
> thinking is that if you can see at a "glance" that the job ran a particular
> way that you might be more likely to save time by not having to find the
> job output and view it.  In fact, I was thinking that sometimes seeing how
> much time a job used, wall and CPU, can be almost as important as the
> condition codes.
>
> I agree that providing information that no one will ever want is a waste,
> and have considered providing the option for a normal and "verbose" type of
> email, but I keep thinking that once the job is done and the email is
> dynamically generated, it's not like the user can come back and say, that
> they have a CC=4 in step07 so they would like to have some additional
> information, it's just too late by then.
>
> I figured that asking normal people (which some of you are), might be a
> reasonable thing to do.
>
> Any comments or suggestions?

Not a direct response to your question, but something that has been running
around in my mind lately (lots of room there). Why email? What has been
percolating in my head is setting up a private company Twitter-like server.
The Twitter server code is not available, but the client code is. So write
some server code which responses to the client requests like Twitter does.
I haven't really found any yet, but there may be some Open Source
"microblogging" software already which does. this.

Now, as to why do this? Email tends to be wordy and slow to deliver. And,
in my opinion, is difficult to read on a small device such as a smart
phone. Tweets are short and generally delivered much faster. Also, there
are Twitter client apps available for almost anything: Windows, Mac, Linux,
Android, and iOS. So using a compatible microblogging server would leverage
the existing client software. Also, if this server is written properly, all
of the company's servers (z/OS, Windows, Linux, UNIX, Mac, ...) could route
tweets via it. The end user would need some sort of login credential to the
microblogging server, but could then "subscribe" to the events that they
were interested in. Each company server would be a user which could be
followed. In the case of z/OS, there might be multiple users for a system.
For example, suppose I have a z/OS with the SYSNAME of MANNY. I run a
number of things on MANNY: CA-7, CICS (multiple regions), DB2. I would then
have multiple twitter users for MANNY, such as manny.zos (z/OS system
status messages), manny.ca7 (for CA-7 messages), manny.cicsreg1,
manny.cicsreg2, manny,<other cics region names>, and manny.db2 . The user
could then follow one or more of these to receive tweets about these
processes. And, of course, there are users for each of the other z/OS
system names. For your product, you might want the user name of
manny.jobstatus .

Of course, since this microblogging server would likely exist on a non-z
platform (but maybe z/Linux?), I can envision the keeper of that domain
"pushing back" on this sort of thing. Or maybe other shops are no longer
still in the "us vs. them" battles that we still fight when we want
something from the "distributed" (aka LAN) people.

--
Wasn't there something about a PASCAL programmer knowing the value of
everything and the Wirth of nothing?

Maranatha! <><
John McKown

attachments from your system.