From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Brian Westerman
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2014 1:58 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Automatic Job Ended Email (detail information)

Hi,

We are testing our SyzMail product that provides for the sending of email when
a task (JOB STC or TSO user) ends that contains all of the normal stuff you
would expect to see (maxCC, stepCCs, programs used, etc.) and I was thinking
that it would be great to provide the execution time (both wall clock and CPU)
that the task used and the start and end times and some other information that
is all just right there for the picking, but it has started some controversy
here because many (most actually) think that people could care less about the
details and mostly just care about the condition codes.  I myself think that
since the email is being generated and we have the information available, that
it makes sense to send it.  My thinking is that if you can see at a "glance"
that the job ran a particular way that you might be more likely to save time by
not having to find the job output and view it.  In fact, I was thinking that
sometimes seeing how much time a job used, wall and CPU, can be almost as
important as the condition codes.

I agree that providing information that no one will ever want is a waste, and
have considered providing the option for a normal and "verbose" type of email,
but I keep thinking that once the job is done and the email is dynamically
generated, it's not like the user can come back and say, that they have a CC=4
in step07 so they would like to have some additional information, it's just too
late by then.

I figured that asking normal people (which some of you are), might be a
reasonable thing to do.

Any comments or suggestions?

Brian

attachments from your system.