John,

> I think you can make a single change to your REXX program
>
> paxRC=bpxwunix(wCMD,,"DD:PAX",stderr.)

I tried that. In my original note:
> (I also tried it by specifying a ddname in the bpxwunix call instead of
> the stdout., but got a truncation error. I suspect that's because it
> exceeded the 2048 limit)
More specifically:
   317 *-*    wCMD = "pax -w -X -z -x pax" aDir
       >L>      "pax -w -X -z -x pax"
       >V>      "/sap/D6B"
       >O>      "pax -w -X -z -x pax /sap/D6B"
   318 *-*    "ALLOC DD(PAX) DSN('"aBackupDsn"') OLD release"
       >L>      "ALLOC DD(PAX) DSN('"
       >V>      "PSUSS.INTR.KD6BXS.USRSAP.A"
       >O>      "ALLOC DD(PAX) DSN('PSUSS.INTR.KD6BXS.USRSAP.A"
       >L>      "') OLD release"
       >O>      "ALLOC DD(PAX) DSN('PSUSS.INTR.KD6BXS.USRSAP.A') OLD release"
   319 *-*    paxRC = bpxwunix(wCMD,,"DD:PAX",stderr.)
       >V>      "pax -w -X -z -x pax /sap/D6B"
       >L>      ""
       >L>      "DD:PAX"
       >L>      "STDERR."
DD:PAX         truncation: rc=16
Line too long

The Usage note for BPXWUNIX:
STDOUT lines cannot exceed 2048 characters.

Elardus,

> Then I suspect the ALLOC command is not working 100% with that keyword
> combination. Could you try out
> TRACE in your REXX program to see what is happening when REXX is trying to
> execute ALLOC command?

I put a LISTA STATUS in to verify the ALLOC worked and it shows the DDName in
question.

I believe that the pax will work if I can force _BPX_SHAREAS=YES, but I don't
see how I can code this with an IKJEFT01 job step. The alternative would be to
run the rexx under USS to start with, but the way I read the manual, the TSO
ALLOC would then run under a different AS, so I assume my DDName would still
not be available (but I guess I should test that).

Thanks,
Bart