Phil Smith wrote

<begin extract>
 if I encrypt a ZIP file with DES (56 bit keystrength) and you believe
it's a .doc file, you will cheerfully cruise right by the correct key,
because you won't see the .doc signature you're expecting.
</end extract>

and I have two comments.

First. the professional cryptographers of my acquaintance avoid
assumptions about the encodings of the encrypted documents they are
examining.  They regard this as an empirical question to be answered
empirically, and they have powerful statistical methods for answering
such questions available to them

Second, the notion that "DES (56 bit key strength)" is adequate to any
serious encryption task will delight the NSA, the Chinese, and others
of that ilk.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA