From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Pommier, Rex
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 7:55 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Disposal of storage devices/med

Radoslaw,

About 10 years ago I was given the task to migrate off an RVA onto a
different disk subsystem.  Not really knowing how to erase the disks without
use of a sledgehammer, I initialized all the volumes to logically erase
them, then uploaded a bunch of songs to the array.  I then proceeded to copy
these songs multiple times across the array volumes until the RVA screamed
that the back end storage was full.  I then deleted it all and did it over
again.  I figured writing several thousand copies of Barry Manilow songs
against the array would drive anybody crazy who would try to recover
anything useful off the disk.

I suppose the RIAA could have come against me for illegally copying music.
:-)

Rex