From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Skip Robinson
Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2014 9:38 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Accountability (was: multiple TSO Sessions (try this))

There was a time when I promoted (at least) two userids for system support
folks. SLED DASD was far less reliable than today's virtual arrays, It was
a dreadfully monotonous occurrence for a DASD failure to hang up a system
or an entire shared complex. A TSO user could easily get hung up trying to
untangle the mess. A unencumbered second userid could sometimes be used to
dig into the rubble for search and rescue. Modern DASD as well as robust
RAS improvements have made that scenario increasingly rare. With
multi-plex logon now SOP, I no longer maintain multiple userids.

Note also that 'accountability' is in no way compromised by multiplicity
as long as each userid has one and only one owner. The state has no
problem with a person owning multiple vehicles, while the practice of a
vehicle being owned jointly by lots of people would cause havoc in the
insurance marketplace.