The problem is with the way you did the readfile. You have:

"readfile ("pathname") htmlh."

You should have one of the following instead:

"readfile (pathname) htmlh." /* note that the (readfile) is inside the
quotes, not outside */

"readfile "pathname" htmlh." /* note lack of parentheses */

The manual is a bit confusing.

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 7:02 AM, jan de decker <jan.je...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I have a problem with a compiled simple rexx program (seee output below).
>
> I searched but could find no explanation for the rc(1) of the readfile
> command.
>
> The purpose is to implement this as a CGI program but for the moment it
> even fails the same way from the OMVS command line.
>
> The file
>
> /jedsp/web/pub/cgi/html_header
>
> exists and is a small text file containing a few lines of html headers.
>
> cat /jedsp/web/pub/cgi/html_header
>
> works fine.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thx,
>

> j@n
>

> Hello
>      9 *-* if syscalls('ON')>3
>        >L>   "ON"
>        >F>   "0"
>        >L>   "3"
>        >O>   "0"
>     13 *-* pathname = '/jedsp/web/pub/cgi/html_header'
>        >L>   "/jedsp/web/pub/cgi/html_header"
>     14 *-* "readfile ("pathname") htmlh."
>        >L>   "readfile ("
>        >V>   "/jedsp/web/pub/cgi/html_header"
>        >L>   ") htmlh."
>        >O>   "readfile (/jedsp/web/pub/cgi/html_header"
>        >O>   "readfile (/jedsp/web/pub/cgi/html_header) htmlh."
>        +++ RC(1) +++
>     15 *-* say rc
>        >V>   "1"
> 1
>     16 *-* say retval
>        >L>   "RETVAL"
> RETVAL
>     17 *-* do i = 1 to htmlh.0
>        >L>   "1"
>        >L>   "HTMLH.0"
>     17 +++ do i = 1 to htmlh.0
> EAGREX4100E Error 41 running compiled /jedsp/web/pub/cgi/sayhello,
> line 17: Bad arithmetic conversion

Wasn't there something about a PASCAL programmer knowing the value of
everything and the Wirth of nothing?

Maranatha! <><
John McKown