From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 8:37 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Dummy dataset

On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 20:18:05 +0000, Jousma, David wrote:

>We have an exit for DFSORT that scans TIOT to see if someone concatenated a
>DUMMY dataset as input.  Here is what I believe to be the relevant snippet of
>code:
>*                                 CHECK FOR DUMMY DD STATEMENT
>*                                 NOTE: COULD ALSO BE DD *
>DDCHK    CLC   TIOEFSRT,=AL3(0)   Q. REAL UCB ADDRESS ?
>         BE    DDBAD              A. NO, BAD DD

How does this behave for DD PATH=...?  Is the UCB address nonzero for zFS
files?  Are you unwittingly prohibiting use of zFS in the SORTIN concatenation?
 That would be imprisoning your users in the twentieth century.

Prohibiting "DD *" is also unduly harsh.

A similar question applies to Shmuel's suggestion of DEVTYPE.

The definitive test should be for DSNAME='NULLFILE'.

-- gil

This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may be
privileged.   It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you
receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any
manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please
reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was
misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your
assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.