>I have to ask: Why they big concern over a few instructions?
> Optimisation of a few is not worth the effort these days.

In my opinion, it's not "concern", it's pride. Surely all of us
programmers like our code to be the best it can be, within reason.

So it's probably less about optimizing existing code (unless it's in a
loop) than about understanding what is best for your new code, when the
development and test costs of the choices are basically the same.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design