Indeed. My favorite (which is, I suspect, where a lot of Big Numbers come
from) is folks who have clearly extrapolated from a peak rate, like "We
peaked at 20,000 transactions per minute over Black Friday, so we need to
be able to support 10 billion per year". But if you dig a bit more, you
find out that their normal rate is more like 20 per minute, and that guess
what, when they hit that peak, everything in their infrastructure was
queuing work. So no, they don't need 10B/year capability: they need three
orders of magnitude less. Or maybe two, to be safe.