From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Staller, Allan
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2014 15:36
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Can we logon to TSO witout having TN3270 up ?

Rephrasing:

TN3270 is merely TCPIP on one side and VTAM/SNA on the other...

TN3270 receives TCPIP requests on one side and translates to VTAM/SNA on the
other. (BTW, VTAM also supports BISYNC).

Other points:

Once you have the READY prompt you *ARE* logged on to TSO.

TELNET (dnsname or ip addr) invokes a TCPIP connection to the target, thus
would require a TELNET or TN3270 server on the target.
TN3270 used to be a part of the TCP/IP address space, but was moved (mandatory)
to a separate address space circa z/OS 1.9.

<snip>

>VTAM is the pre-req, not TN3270.

>It depends on the method of *TERMINAL* attachment. If via VTAM, TN3270

>is not needed for anything/

>TN3270 is merely TCPIP on one side and SNA on the other...

"VTAM"?  "SNA"?  I don't know the distinction.

And no one has mentioned that it's possible to log on to TSO (the posed
question) at the "READY" prompt with TELNET, but without TN3270. (Or is TN3270
part of the TELNET daemon

nowadays?)

</snip>

e-mail, and delete this message.