From: Clark Morris <cfmpub...@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: IBM-MAIN <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
Sent: Sun, Apr 6, 2014 12:52 pm
Subject: Semi-OT: Government snooping was Re: Is there any MF shop using AWS
service?

On 6 Apr 2014 07:15:59 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>In <3c50k9hv2dscdvhsn3b7kvi84jaibbp...@4ax.com>, on 04/05/2014
>   at 11:41 AM, Clark Morris <cfmpub...@ns.sympatico.ca> said:
>
>>I remember my sister saying her European friends couldn't
>>understand what the big deal about Watergate was.
>
>The same in Israel.
>
>>The assumed that the snooping involved was common
>>practice given their experience with their own governments.
>
>Perhaps, but I suspect that it was really a question of whose ox was
>gored. Certainly, people in Israel got very upset over what to me
>looked like minor scandals; the were more egregious than Watergate
>because they were local.
>
>Were the French as blasé over scandals in France as they were over
>Watergate?
>
>From what I recall from over 35 years ago was that her friends thought
that the government snooping was a normal state of affairs.  Given the
records retention requirements  in the United States (and maybe other
countries), most organizations have to keep a huge amount of
documentation including all e-mails so that the government can later
troll through them to prove wrongdoing.  For organizations the
exposure is not snooping by the government of jurisdiction which can
get the data anyway but by foreign governments doing it for other
reasons.

Clark Morris