>If the original volume was not IPL'able, then maybe the IPL data got
damaged. You could try updating the IPL data on the RES volume from the starter
system.
If in the worst case, you should still be able to re-use existing volumes.
Hardware support told you the DS6800 is fine. Instead of purging and
reconfigure, you should be able to retain the current volumes.  If you have
access to the existing user definitions, then you should be able  to retain
>existing user volumes.

Okay – I think first I have to figure out why the system won’t IPL from tape or
disk. I guess they could try IPLing from a DVD if they have this starter
system. I don’t know if they do or not. I’ll ask.

>Download a copy of ZZSA and burn it to a CD. Have Operations IPL that CD and
>use it to explore the volumes, specifically the Resvol and IPL required
>volumes (IODF Volume etc). From there you should have an idea as to what is
>>actually broken.

I’ll pass this on to the customer

>IBM SUPPORT does not help in situations where it's a configuration issue. If
>the error is the IOCDS was not updated, then they are not responsible. On the
>other hand, if the problem is hardware, then hardware support is responsible
>and if there is a software bug then software support is responsible. Everyone
>is responsible to point the figure at someone else so they don't have to deal
>with it. If you point the finger at support hard enough, they may resolve the
>issue for you.

If you actually mean IBM PROFESSIONAL SERVICES is maintaining this system, then
yes, they are responsible.

It seems strange that they have been down for 3 weeks and not screaming.

>Maybe you should have them consider allowing you access to the hardware
>console (temporarily).

The system crashed as a result of a power outage. All was well before that. We
had an error code of ACTZ0182. That’s all I told IBM when I made the service
call. What I wanted was for someone from IBM to determine if it was a hardware
or software bug and go from there. At this point, no one knows if it’s an IOCDS
problem or any other for that matter. Unfortunately I did not set this machine
up and know very little about it. I know the zVM and  Computer Associates parts
obviously but with matters of the HMC, IOCDS, etc., I know very little as IBM
came in and set all of that up. One guy, ONE guy came in and set up the HMC,
DS6800, installed zVM and because the compiler tapes weren’t delivered yet,
another person from the same department came out and installed Fortran, PASCAL,
etc. Now, these are the people, or someone like them that ought to be able to
determine what’s going on with the system. I’m 1300 miles away and can’t be
away from SoCal (I work and live here after all) on an open ended trip until
this gets sorted out though I know this would be a great learning experience if
I could be there for the duration. No one at the site is an IBMer – they’re all
Windows or Linux people who take care of things like backups and account
maintenance although I can do a lot of that via a link assuming the system is
up. This would probably be a great time to have a remote HMC! Maybe as a result
of this problem, the customer will buy one.

Regarding the system being down for three weeks, there is one fall back and
that’s for the users to come to SoCal and use our legacy machine. At some point
after the z10 gets back on its feet, any updates will be sent back to OKC and
the z10 will be “caught up.”

>There was an evaluation version of z/VM that was bootable from a DVD
>in the HMC.  I would give that a shot.

I’ll contact the customer and see if they can find this.
Thanks for all of the great posts!
Karl