From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Skip Robinson
Sent: Wednesday, May 7, 2014 3:23 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: z10 IPL from Utility Tape

Until Bob Shannon recounted his experience with failed DASD (!), I would
have looked for a more likely explanation. Here's my first take. IODF gets
dynamically activated over a period of time. Depending on how rigorous you
are, the IOCDS in the SE may get updated less often. It's possible for the
actual system configuration to stray quite far from the IOCDS that was last
written out. After a power failure, you necessarily do a POR that reads the
IOCDS. If the last saved IOCDS cannot map the actual physical configuration,
very strange results can occur during IPL.

I have little experience with z/VM, so my guess might be way off base.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company