Thanks to all for their suggestions.   I have tried every permutation I can
think of, but to no avail.  Yes, I understand some permutations are ignored but
I tried them anyway....even IBM software has been reported to have a bug or two
from time to time.. ;-))  I'm using z/OS 1.12 and ISPF 6.1.

The dataset in question is myid.ispf.pli, so the low-level qualifier is for
PL/I.  In fact, I have set the HILIGHT to PLI.  In the ISPF editor everything
works as it should.  There are no line numbers in columns 1-6 becuase there are
PL/I or *PROCESS statements there.  There are also no line numbers in 73-80.  I
run a Mod 5 terminal, so there are no "hidden" columns.  WYSIWIG in ISPF.

The data set has the ISPF PROFILE attributes PLI (FIXED -80), NUMBER OFF,
AUTONUM OFF, IMACRO NONE, MARGINS(2,80).  I still get the first six columns
blanked out....set to x'40' not x'00'.

As suggested, I will try the ISPF-L list.

Cheers,

Jon Butler.