Increasing the DSN timeout may adversely affect your system and it may not be
apparent. Be very cautious when changing this parm.

It was mentioned that this error does not always occur. The reason for this is
that the name is resolved in a DNS that occurs before the problematic DNS
server. To cause the error message, you can ping a name that does not exist.
This can also be sporadic for names that are dynamically added/removed in the
DNS server. You may have times when the name does not exist in the expected DNS
server. During this time, that name will have have this error.

Products sometimes will terminate if they don't start within reasonable amount
of time. If one of those products has multiple connections that fails with this
error, then increasing the timeout could push the startup time past the startup
time threshold.

Even if your products don't terminate, you may still have a started task
manager running. For tasks it manages, there is a startup time threshold.
Depending on the action, it could cause the product to restart. This often
occurs during IPL so you may drastically increase IPL time or you may be
missing critical started tasks.

Automation could also be a problem. Some sites ping various destinations to
ensure they are still active. I've seen some scheduled as often as every 10
seconds. The extra delay could cause a backlog of automation exec's and cause
critical automation to be delayed.

Jon Perryman

I have doubled the amount of time that it gathers attempts to calculate