Klein, Kenneth E wrote:
What is the general opinion out there on what portion of CPU cycles should be
spent in supervisor state?
Is more than 50% a "bad thing"?
Could having a logical processor to physical processor ratio of greater than 2 (e.g. 8
logicals in a 3 CP cec) be "bad"?

I don't have an opinion, but I will observe that not all the time spent in supervisor state is overhead. A number of services used by the programs you use will run partly or entirely in supervisor state; in other words, a lot of that time can be productive work, and it should not be regarded as being only OS housekeeping. (How much of it is productive? It depends on your workloads.)

--
John Eells
z/OS Technical Marketing