From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Greg Price
Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2014 9:31 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: FINDING CLUSTER NAME

On 15/05/2014 11:42 PM, Staller, Allan wrote:
> LISTC ENT(' HESP.BALFWD.DEFINE.DATA') ALL
>
> The cluster name will be in the specified in the output.
> The most likely name is ' HESP.BALFWD.DEFINE'

What Allan said....

Of course, the catalog entry may not exist, hence the problem.
Also check for non-VSAM entries of the same name pointing to DFHSM
migrated data sets (if you run DFHSM, of course).

If you would like "proof" of the cluster name without relying on the
odds-on likelihood that the cluster name is the data component name with
the trailing .DATA chopped off, then you could browse the contents of
the VVDS where the names should appear in plain text.

I have not done so for years, but to browse VVDS - and BCS for that
matter - files I used to use an APF authorized alias of the public
domain REVIEW command. REVIEW contains no MODESET macros - the system
lets normal VSAM OPEN process BCS and VVDS files (for INPUT, anyway) if
the environment is APF authorized. At least, it did a few years back,
and I have not heard of any changes in this area.

And I should also say that for every other use of REVIEW (available from
the CBT "tape") it is best to not run it APF authorized. For one thing,
as a rule ISPF does not like its services being invoked in an APF
authorized environment.

Topic drifting ever so slightly, time was when BSAM could read VSAM
components. Around 1986 it even seemed to bypass RACF, but the RACF hole
was soon plugged. DFP V2R4 introduced the requirement that DCB (input
only) access to VSAM required APF authorization, but that only worked
when the VSAM component being opened did not have more than 16 extents.
Ah, good times...
:)

Cheers,
Greg

The information contained in this message is confidential, protected from
disclosure and may be legally privileged.  If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this
message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
distribution, copying, or any action taken or action omitted in reliance on it,
is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this
message and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard
copy format.  Thank you.