Kees is correct. FTP doesn't support ISPF profiles. It was specifically
modified to handle user data area for the member in the PDS directory.

ISPF editor is just an editor. Why the OUCH when every other editor (including
UNIX) allows you to change the edit settings? If you want a dev environment,
then you install a dev environment (e.g. SCLM, Changeman, Endeavour, CVS, ...).

As for edit recovery, it is associated with the user and that is the correct
choice. In z/OS dev environments, we have member locking which would make
shared recovery viable. Outside that environment, member lock has been lost
once the edit terminates for the member. Allowing recovery in this situation
can lead to confusion or failures. Would you trust automatic recovery of a
SYS1.PARMLIB member?

Jon Perryman..