From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of John Gilmore
Sent: Saturday, July 05, 2014 3:10 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: HLASM doubleword set-symbol arithmetic

There is---I do not write with any inside knowledge---some prospect
that Paul Gilmartin will not need to confront  another option.   A
fairly obvious and 'easy' design option is that of making all arithmetic
set-symbol  values signed doubleword ones, and if I were laying bets it is
the one I should bet that the IBM group in Hursley would choose.

En passant, let me also note 1) that this is not what I should do if the
decision were mine and 2) that I do not share Paul Gilmartin's
(and Microsoft's) view that options are bad.   They are, on one view,
inconvenient for developers; but the notion that there is a magic number
that will meet [almost] everyone's needs seems to be to be
delusional.   Worse, perhaps, is that code tested only for one such
magic value is very likely to break down when, perforce, that value is
changed.

Paul has lamented the card-image orientation of some IBM facilities here
when his ox was the one being gored, but he has been slow to learn the
larger lesson of such rigidities.

What can be conceded to his view is that options are not always for novices,
that they should mostly be unobtrusive.