Thanks - that actually makes sense. You lose one bit for the difference
between PC versus branch.

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 01:41:39 -0400 Jim Mulder <d10j...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

:>> The PC number is 00180305
:>>
:>> Bytes 148-151 show 00080305
:>>
:>> The leading 001 is missing..
:>
:> In your PC number, bit 44 is one, so you need to read that
:>Principles of Operation paragraph very carefully. The leading
:>001 is not missing. Bit 44 has been discarded, and the leading
:>001 has been shifted 1 bit to the right, so it is transformed into
:>0008.  To reconstruct the PC number from bytes 148-151, you need to
:>first examine bits 1-12 of bytes 148-151.  If any of those bits
:>are one, then bit 44 must have been one in the PC number, and
:>then you reconstruct the rest of the PC number by reversing the
:>logic described in the Principles of Operation paragraph
:>which explains what is stored in 148-151 when bit 44 of the
:>PC number is one.  If Bits 1-12 of bytes 148-151 are all zero,
:>then the bit 44 was zero in the PC number, and you reconstruct the
:>PC number by reversing the logic for when bit 44 is zero in the PC number.
:>
:>  And if I miscounted some bits there, well, it is late at night, and
:>Peter Relson can correct me, or we can find the z/OS code to do the
:>PC number reconstruction that Peter must have written in z.OS 1.6
:>when he implemented ASN-and-LX Reuse (because in order for RTM2
:>to find an ARR address, we need to reconstruct the PC number
:>from the linkage stack entry, so we can use it to locate the
:>Entry Table Entry for the PC number, which contains the ARR address).
:>
:>
:>> On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 17:39:44 -0400 Jim Mulder <d10j...@us.ibm.com>