SHARE is all about networking, which is what old boys' clubs do.  I went to my
first SHARE in 1967 and was welcomed as a newbie.  That was how I became a
brand new member of the old boys' club.  I don't ever remember any older
attendees' having an exclusivist attitude towards new attendees.  I have been
to beaucoup major SHAREs and three mini-SHAREs.  There is great camaraderie in
SHARE, much to learn, and much to be shared.  Go to your first one and keep on
going.

When I am at a SHARE, I always  see other old-timers whom I recognize.  I start
talking with them.  I don't know how to recognize new attendees easily, but I
would assume they have a ribbon of a particular color.  If so, I don't know
what the color is, so I apologize for not initiating conversations with any new
attendees for my last several SHAREs.  It's normal human behavior to seek out
people you already know and converse with them rather than start talking with a
total stranger.  If you are a new attendee and no old boy has initiated a
conversation with you, find someone in the crowd whose name badge has lots of
ribbons on it and start talking to him.  And go to the sessions designed
specifically for new attendees.  Find a group of people standing around talking
about anything and stand in the group.  Listen for a while.  If you  don't hear
some familiar buzzwords, go look for another group discussing different
buzzwords.  Pretty soon you  will be one of the experts giving presentations or
volunteer workers doing project work.  I started attending regularly in 1981
and also volunteering to do presentations and being involved in project work,
and within 5 years discovered that I knew almost everyone of the elected
officers (even the President), because they had been doing project work in many
of the same projects I had been involved with.

Bill Fairchild

Nolensville, TN